Saturday, June 2, 2012

strawberry and rhubarb shortcake

I had a great day! I checked off most of the weekend tasks and also got in a trip to Greensgrow! There I bought so much fresh produce including a pint of strawberries and four stalks of rhubarb! I had to make something awesome! Exclamation points!


Now I do not really like pie crust and I like making it about as much. I looked in the vegetarian cookbook for a recipe for shortcake. I saw one make with walnuts, but I figured I would modify the recipe to what I already had. Here is what I came up with...

Shortcake:
1 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted
1/4 cup of flax seeds
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
8 tbsp butter
1/4 cup (approx) coconut milk

Filling:
1 pint sliced strawberries
4-5 stalks of rhubarb, chopped
1/3 cup sugar

Special Tools:
Food Processor


I preheated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I combined the pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sugar, and rosemary in the food processor and turned it on until it was ground to a cornmeal consistency. I then added the flour and baking powder and ran it again until mixed. I cut up my butter and added it to the mixture with the processor on and continued to process until the mixture started to come together. At this point I added the coconut milk while it was running until a ball started to form. I dumped the ball into a pie pan and pushed it into the sides. I tried to make the bottom thicker to hold the filling.

For the filling I slices up the super ripe strawberries and chopped the rhubarb. I combined them in a bowl with the sugar and stirred until the sugar started to dissolve.
I poured the filling into the pie pan and baked it for about 40-50 minutes. I could tell it was done by checking the rhubarb with a fork. When the fork was able to go through it without any resistance it was done! I let it rest for about 30 minutes before serving it.


And oh man was it good. I had been jonesing for a strawberry and rosemary desert for a while now (ever since I saw a desert pizza like this in Better Homes and Gardens) DJ and I ate it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I am sure my vegan friends could substitute any number of solid fats for the butter, so go crazy!


No comments:

Post a Comment